Friday, June 15, 2007

Lost in Translation: Ft. Portal clinics


We just finished our clinics in the Western part of Uganda near Fort Portal. The village was nestled in between bright green tea fields by the Rwenzori mountains that form a barrier from the neighboring Congo.

In a small village, a mzungu (meaning white man, literally "running around fast") clinic is kind of like a circus coming to town. Fortunately, there were less life-threatening cases here. These complaints were my favorite:

"I'm having trouble yawning"
"My legs are jiggly" (which she demonstrated)
A man walks in, sits down, and says,"My legs are paralyzed."

In this area witchcraft is more prevalent. Many time, especially at night, when someone whistles at another person they are casting a curse on them. So it was not taken well when one of the Americans, trying to get the crowds' attention, whistled loudly with her teeth in her mouth. Hahah. It definately got everyone's attention.

1 comment:

Angie Hyche said...

Your favorite complaints are a hoot! I especially liked "I'm having trouble yawning". I continue to enjoy reading your posts and looking at your photos. Thanks again for being so thorough in your descriptions!

Angie Hyche